Wednesday 15 January 2014


   All animals are equal but some still want to be more equal than others.

 

As someone who is often guilty of self-destruction and self-doubt, and occasionally self-loathing, my strongest passion is for equality. Thus, I find it extraordinary when I see almost any form of ism: racism, sexism, ageism, and homophobic behaviour are simply incomprehensible to me.

There has been much ado in the press this week, following the coming out of an ex footballer. While I don’t question the bravery of him for doing so, I wonder why it is such a big deal. In 2014 does it really matter to people what a man or woman does in his spare time? It isn’t illegal after all. A couple of weeks ago, olypic diver Tom Daley announced he was in a relationship with a man. Again, I have no doubt that it took a lot of courage for him to make the decision to discuss his sexuality but should any rational adult have a different opinion of the man, now we know he likes fellow human beings?

As a slave to twitter I see many comments from people who are very angry that men seem to value them less than they do their own gender, but the comments indicate that actually, it is not equality that is being sought, and they dislike men simply for being men. I wonder if this is less of a bad thing than the original insult.

I see people who talk constantly and exclusively about the colour of their skin. They seldom talk about their qualities or their beliefs except that people who happen to have paler or darker skin are somehow less worthy or have less right to wear certain clothing. I am in no way suggesting this more equal than others attitude is one sided. There are still people who believe that the colour of ones skin dictates whether one is good, bad or indifferent.
 It is a terrible cliché,but there is a song that goes “when the last thing we look for is the colour of skin and the first thing we look far is the beauty within. We shall be free”.  but what a novel idea..

There have been numerous reports of people abusing women on social network sites for suggesting that women should be featured on our currency. Why the hell should they not be featured and why the hell would any-one take exception to anyone suggesting such a thing? Can people really be so ignorant or stupid that they believe ones worth should be based on genitalia?

I myself have been critical of the rich and powerful on many occasions, as anyone who knows me will testify, yet I have no desire to see them have less rights than me, nor have I the desire to have more rights than they. Simply that we have equal right to opinion, education and other liberties.

I want to see more working class MP’s and more working class law professionals, but that does not mean I think that middle class and wealthy people should be excluded.

I wonder if by campaigning for more working class influence I am being driven by what I am and am I anti anything other than me? I hope the answer is no.

Will we ever see the day when we are all treated equally regardless of colour, religion, age, size, sexual orientation or disability or do the people who belong to those groups widen the gulf by the very act of trying to close it? The answer is no, the people who genuinely want to close the gap have a perfectly legitimate right to do so. it those who hide their own prejudice behind the safety of action groups who are the issue. Campaigning to curb immigration is another example. for years, no one dared discuss the issue for fear of being accused of racism. Now thanks to the emergence of Parties like UKIP, the argument is rightly out there and gives bigoted racist thugs a presentable façade to hide behind.  We will never have a truly equal, multi cultural, free of prejudice society while ever so many people have their own agenda of hatred but do not have the guts to admit it.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment